Wednesday, June 17, 2009

USE YOUR WORDS!

These words are so confusing. Love vs IN love? Infatuation? Like? Like like (courtesy of Hey Arnold)? I get so confused because I don't see how we tack these rigid four letter words on to insanely abstract emotions. Silly humans. Everyone feels things differently so why do we feel the need to name everything? Is it to categorize it? To express it to other humans? Honestly, I think descriptions would be so much more useful and alot less convoluted and lame. "I love you" is sweet and all..and I believe in it the way that I define it, but it can become so confusing figuring out what you're feeling exactly. For example, if I told a man I loved him, would he know what I was feeling? Probably not. Maybe? I really don't know. But if I said
-When you touch me, I hold my breath so I can hear your hands better.
or
-I wish monsters were real so they could hide in your closet and I could chase them away for you
or
-They should make shirts that feel like your fingertips so I can feel them all day

I think someone would know how I felt. Because I was telling them. Explicitly. Saying "I love you" can mean so many different things. You say the same thing to your mother, your grandma, your friends, the friends you don't like. How can we just use that one word? Is it really the same all around?

I don't think so. I think people need to USE THEIR WORDS..like your mom would tell you when you came home crying with snot running down your face. Use our words. And the next time someone asks how you feel, describe to them the specific feeling. Don't feel obligated to use the word LOVE, IN LOVE, LIKE, its cliche and confusing. I think this would make things a lot clearer and save people thinking you feel things that you don't. TRICK BAG.

2 comments:

  1. i concur.

    apparently, according to some random blog i read once, saying "I love you" so copiously and gratuitously is more of a Western culture type thing.

    so, we're lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo right... Kind of makes a girl want to swear off 'I love you' forever... There is something about those three little words though...

    ReplyDelete